1 fresh butternut squash (peeled and chopped) OR 1 cup canned butternut squash OR canned pumpkin
1 tbsp butter
2 cup milk
1 cup aged cheddar cheese
1 onion, chopped finely
¼ cup tapioca flour with ½ cup water (mix together in a small bowl)
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 package Beat the Wheat Gluten Free Butternut Squash Penne
- Preheat oven to 425F. Mix chopped squash with Olive Oil, salt & pepper. Roast for about 40 minutes, uncovered, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cheese sauce in a pot on the stove top. Add butter over low-medium heat. Add the diced onion, cook until opaque and lightly caramelized. Add milk; cook until the milk comes to a simmer. Add grated cheese, and stir. In a bowl, whisk together water and tapioca flour until clumps are gone. Add into pot and whisk. Stir in remaining ingredients (Dijon, garlic powder, onion powder, S & P) and whisk over low heat until thickened (about 5-7 minutes).
- Cook Beat the Wheat Gluten Free Penne in boiling water for 2 minutes, rinse in cold water, let sit until sauce is made.
- In a blender, blend 1 cup of roasted squash, then add to the cheese sauce. (If using canned, simply stir 1 cup into the cheese sauce).
- Add cooked, drained, and rinsed Beat the Wheat Gluten Free Penne into the pot, along with the cheese sauce mix together then add to a 9×9 casserole dish. Add grated aged cheddar on top. Put in oven at 375F for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.